There are many types of fraud and scams that you will come across in your life. As a student, you may be more exposed to certain tactics. The best defence against fraud is to be knowledgeable and aware of these situations. Here are some general tips:
- Share your personal information only with companies you know and trust.
- Do not provide personal information to solicitors who made the initial contact.
- Check your credit report once a year.
- If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is!
- Old statements, bills and credit/debit cards should be shredded before you dispose of them.
- Don’t be pressured by offers that are “available for a limited time only!”
- If you believe you’ve been a victim of fraud, check out the Competitions Bureau’s Little Black Book of Scam.