What is OSAP?
In Ontario, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and Canada Student Loans offer an integrated Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). OSAP provides eligible Ontario students with financial aid to help pay for educational-related costs such as tuition, books, compulsory fees, transportation and associated living costs. OSAP is intended to supplement a student’s (and family’s) financial resources and contributions towards their education.
When to apply?
McMaster’s Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships (SFAS) recommends that students apply for OSAP and submit all supporting documentation by July 15 to have funding available for the beginning of the fall term.
Where can I find out more information about OSAP?
- Eligibility requirements, online calculators and application details can be found on OSAP’s website.
- The Student Financial Aid & Scholarships at McMaster University provides a comprehensive website with details about all financial assistance programs.
- The Paying for School with OSAP document will provide a few more valuable details about applying for and receiving OSAP.
How do I check the status of my OSAP application?
OSAP applicants can check the status of their application and release of funding on the OSAP website.
How do I receive my OSAP funding?
OSAP funding, including the Ontario Tuition Grant, is deposited into the student’s personal bank account. Approximately, 60% of OSAP funds are disbursed in the fall term and 40% is disbursed in the winter term.
- Apply early for OSAP. The online application comes out in May every year.
- An completed OSAP application is required to be eligible to apply for work-study or a bursary (some exceptions apply – more info at sfas.mcmaster.ca)
- An OSAP loan is interest-free while you are full-time student at an OSAP eligible institution. Dropping courses can affect your OSAP eligibility and entitlement
- OSAP pays YOU – You PAY McMaster! OSAP funds are deposited to your personal bank account. Check your OSAP status here.
- Make changes to your OSAP application using the Change Request Form found here.
- Within the academic year, complete an OSAP Extension form to extend the study period end date on your existing OSAP application.
Example: Existing OSAP application is for fall/winter session – use the extension form to include the spring term and be reassessed for more funding.