What is a bursary?
A bursary is a non-repayable grant for students who demonstrate financial need. Bursary funds are limited and are not intended to fund a student’s full deficit. The Student Financial Aid & Scholarships (SFAS) will provide bursary assistance related to tuition, books, compulsory fees, equipment and supplies after a student’s own contribution has been assessed and after OSAP (or out-of-province loan) has been assessed. Students who lack resources to cover living and other education-related costs during their study period should apply for bursary assistance.
What bursaries are available at McMaster University?
Students who meet all eligible criteria can apply for the McMaster General Bursary. The bursary program is funded through donor contributions to the University and through tuition reinvestment.
Students can find application dates on the SFAS website under ‘Application Deadlines & Details’. Please note that application deadlines differ for students enrolled in the MBA, Medicine and Physician Assistant programs of study.
How do I apply?
The McMaster Bursary application is available on Mosaic. Find the application on Mosaic by clicking the “Student Centre” link and then select “Apply for Financial Aid”. Students who have not applied to OSAP are asked to complete a budget online and submit supporting documents to SFAS.
Do I report external bursaries and awards on my OSAP application?
All bursaries and awards must be reported on the student’s OSAP application. Awards received following the submission of the OSAP application can be reported by emailing SFAS at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student id, the name of the award, donor and value.
The OMA stipend for medical students is not included in the income section on the OSAP application but needs to be reported to SFAS nonetheless. Please email SFAS at email@example.com with all stipend details.
- McMaster General Bursary application is available via Mosaic starting September 15th and closes January 9th
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need according to OSAP or an out-of-province student aid program
- Students who are unable to apply for government funding will complete a budget online
- A completed online application along with all supporting documentation is required by the deadline date – http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/bursary/macbur.html
- Bursary funds are deposited to the McMaster student account in late February. A cheque is mailed to the student’s address if fees are already paid in full.